Monday, March 19, 2012


Bedtime has gotten so out of control in our house and my attempts to rein it back in aren't working. It's been creeping later and later for a while, probably since he was sick and his schedule was totally off. Thankfully he's started sleeping through the night again and generally sleeps 11-12 hrs straight. So if he goes to bed at 10 he gets up around 10, which as I'm not a morning person has some advantages :-) But getting up at 10 means that he's not napping until 2 and then doesn't want to go to bed until 10 again. J is so tired with the pregnancy and working that she's often in bed before N!

On Saturday it worked to our advantage. We headed to a St Paddy's day party at J's cousins house. N had a blast running wild with his cousin and we didn't leave their place until 10. He was so wired that it was nearly 11 before he finally dropped off and then slept until 10.30 on Sunday. This is where my first attempt to get him back on track happened.

After lunch we headed out to run errands before going to J's parents for dinner. I decided that we'd try to get away with a quick car seat nap instead of putting him down at home. He stayed awake through all the errands and played happily with his grandparents while J and I ran out alone for an hr. 5pm rolls around and he's acting a little tired, but seems like he'll hold on until we go home. J and her mom are about to leave to pick up dinner and N says that he wants to go. So he heads off with them and they come back 20 mins later and he's out cold :-( We let him sleep for 30 mins and wake him up - big mistake!!! He has a major meltdown and nothing would bring him out of it. So we get in the car and start the hr ride home. Of course he falls asleep again and woke up when we got home at 7. So last night he was up until 10.30.

This morning I decided to go for another plan. I woke him up at 8.30 and we worked out in the garden all morning. Had an early lunch and I put him down for a nap at 12.30. By 1.45 he was up again and not happy. It took at good 20 mins to bring him around, but after that we headed back outside and he was fine. J even surprised us by coming home from work early. We went out to dinner and talked about stopping at the playground on the way home. I nixed that plan as he was already rubbing his eyes and didn't want him falling asleep in the car.
We got home, played outside for a while and then I gave him a bath and got him into his jammies. Around 7 he started showing signs he was ready for bed, but quickly got a second wind. At around 8.15 J took him up to bed and 10 mins later they came back down again. He told her he was hungry, so they got a snack and then went back up to bed. J tried to put him down again and this time he cried and kept crying. We have done CIO, but have a 20 minute limit on leaving him to cry. I brought him back down and he hung out until 9.30 when I took him up and he finally fell asleep around 10. Now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to wake him in the morning again or just leave him. We have a friend of mine coming for lunch, so I'd rather he wasn't a complete crank while she's here, but I also have errands that I need to get done before she gets here and I have to make lunch...after I figure out what I'm making.

J's headed to the RE's early in the morning for blood work and ultrasound. We are keeping our fingers crossed that she gets to see and hear the baby's heartbeat. We don't have anyone to watch N at 5am, so I'm not able to go this time. I'm really sad that I won't get to see our little one and probably won't until the 12 week ultrasound. It's totally different from when we were expecting N when I went to almost every appointment. We are also trying to figure out which OB we want to use and where to deliver. J will probably have a repeat c-section so we aren't going to use our midwives again, especially as they now deliver at a hospital thats an hr away. Which wouldn't be a big deal if we didn't have to factor in N and how I'm going to split my time between him and being at the hospital with J and the baby....but that's a whole other story.

I just ordered the invites for N's second birthday. It's going to be here before we know it! Here is the pic that I ended up using :-) I can't wait to see the final product.


  1. Sleep training and re-training is the hardest thing with these little ones. I think you are doing all the right things but his body has just not adjusted yet so I say keep it up. Then again, I do greatly envy you for the sleeping in...I think the latest LM has ever slept in was 8:45am and he was sick then.

  2. BTW, Little Monster waddled in his new boots for about a week before he got the hang of he runs in them :) I bet N is totally adorable walking like a penguin though!