J and I have had plenty of time to talk about TTC while we've been on vacation and we've come up with a plan....
She's going to head back to the RE's for another round of IVF. This time the RE has recommended that we do 2 retrievals and carry out genetic testing on the embryos. We declined the testing before as it seemed to be messing with nature a little more than we were comfortable with, which is kind of ironic really when you think about it. But having been through the heartbreak of 2 losses we would like to avoid putting ourselves through that again. I know that there are no guarantees but starting out with healthy embryos would increase our chances of a good outcome. They are sure that we lost the pregnancies because of chromosomal abnormalities, which we are sure with the first loss. The second one we will never know for sure, but we feel like it coincided with stopping the PIO shots J was on. We were even asked if we wanted to know the gender of the embryos before transfer, which we declined. We want a healthy baby, boy or girl doesn't matter to us and we would want the strongest looking embryos transferred and not to make choices based on gender.
While J is gearing up for IVF we have decided to start trying with me. I'm really not a big fan of all things medical and am in awe of all the stuff that J has put herself through in our quest for another baby. Think it could be the Brit in me, or just my family. I will only go to the Dr if I'm are really sick or something is about to drop off. It once took me 3 days to see the Dr after I broke by wrist, (I was so sure it wasn't broken, just sprained). So we are taking a slightly different route with me. I just had my yearly with the midwives that we used while J was carrying N. J asked if they did inseminations and our favourite MW replied 'we don't currently, but we could!' She recommended that I start temping and keep a record for 3 months, then we'll look over the charts and go from there.
So I bought a BBT thermometer and started taking my temp in the am. I have to admit that it's already getting old. Especially as I have to do it at the same time every day. I picked 6.15 as that is when I usually get up at home, but here on vacation that sucks!!! I wake up, take my temp and often can't get back to sleep. Then right as everyone else is ready to start the day closer to 9, I'm ready for a nap!
My cycles are pretty regular and I usually feel when I ovulate. So hopefully the temping along with the ovulation monitor we have will help us get the timing right.
We've been joking that we'll both end up pregnant and she'll probably have twins as the RE wants to transfer 2 embryos. But in reality we won't both try the same month. Her retrievals will likely be in August and Sept with a transfer in Oct or Nov. So I wouldn't try on the month she transfers or if I'm pregnant by then she won't transfer and we'll keep the embryos for baby number 3 down the road.
3 months ago